Tax Credit Scholarship Information Sessions
Thank you to those who participated on the Tax Credit Scholarship webinar. If you were not able to make it, we recorded the session and it’s available to view here. You may also review the PowerPoint slides by clicking here.
St. John Berchmans is also hosting a bilingual in-person informational session to provide you with information on how to apply for the Illinois Tax Credit Scholarship Program for next year. This session will be held on Jan 20th at 9:15am in the Church Hall (2545 N. Maplewood).
Tax Credit Scholarship Application Support
St. John Berchmans is hosting two APPLICATION SUPPORT DAY EVENTS in the Church Hall (2545 N. Maplewood).
-On January 22nd from 8-10am, families will be provided assistance with applying through the approved SGO site, Big Shoulders. https://www.bigshouldersfundsgo.org/
-On January 31st from 12-2pm, families will be provided assistance with applying through the approved SGO site, Empower Illinois. https://empowerillinois.org/
Tax Credit Scholarship Application Documents
Please plan ahead by having the following documentation scanned and saved PRIOR to the openings of the applications. See below for necessary documentation. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE DOCUMENT LIST DIFFERS FOR EACH SGO!
For the Big Shoulders Fund SGO – Opening on January 22nd at 8AM:
- Parent/guardian contact information (e.g., address, city, zip, etc.) – note that an e-mail address will be required, along with supporting documentation for the household address (e.g., utility bill, driver’s license, rental agreement, stamped United States Post Office change of address form)
- Number in household
- School district in which household resides (Chicago is #299)
- Household income – note that the household will be required to provide one of the following substantiating documents:
- Form 1040 (US Individual Tax Return) from 2016 or 2017
- Report from 3rd party financial aid reviewer such as FACTS, TADS, SMART (within the last 12 months – your school may be able to provide a copy of this if they use one of these services)
- Sworn Statement that the household did not file a tax return with the IRS, including copies of W-2’s, 1099’s, or other independent proof of income – please use this file.
- Student name and birth date
- Student demographic information (e.g., race, gender)
- Grade for the 2018-19 school year
- Siblings, if applicable, who will also apply for the Tax Credit Scholarship Program
- Identify the non-public school being selected by the student in the household
- Identify whether the student is already enrolled at the selected school
For Empower Illinois SGO – Opening on January 31st at Noon.
Adjusted Gross Income*, such as ONE of the following, as indicated at the end of the application:
- Choose a year and submit all household and income documents for that year (don’t mix household information from one year with income information from a different year)
- Federal Tax Return, pages 1 & 2 (2016 or 2017)
- W-2 (2016 or 2017)
- 1099/s (2016 or 2017)
- Year-end pay stub (2016 or 2017)
- Letter, on letterhead, from employer/s indicating cash wages paid (2016 or 2017)
Proof of Illinois residency, such as ONE of the following for the residential parent/custodian:
- Illinois driver’s license
- Illinois identification card (issued by the Secretary of State)
- Utility bill in the custodian’s name
- Statement of benefits from WIC
- Statement of benefits from SNAP
- Residential lease in the parent/custodian’s name
Documentation of the student’s age (applicable to students entering kindergarten and first grade only), such as ONE of the following:
- A copy of the student’s birth certificate
- Federal or State ID
- A passport
The following document is optional at the time of application, but will be required prior to the student receiving scholarship dollars:
Enrollment or acceptance letter from the private school the student will attend
- The letter needs to:
- Be on school letterhead
- State the student’s name
- Acknowledge the student will attend the school for the 2018-2019 school year
Finally, to be added to our email list so that you can be updated with information about our admissions process and the tax credit scholarship, fill out our Request for Information form.